Is The 'Burbs Joe Dantes finest hour? Its a big YES from me.


Let me get this in right up front. Joe Dante's The 'Burbs is in my top 5 all time favourite movies. Joe Dante has done some great movies like Innerspace and Gremlins but for me The 'Burbs is at the top of the tree.
As a kid I watched a lot of movies in the 80s. Movies that I still watch, regularly, to this day. I would say I have seen The 'Burbs at least 2 million times. It has a certain quality where by I never get sick of it. I have the BluRay and I don't know how it isn't worn out. If it's on the TV I watch it. People text me to tell me it's on. I love it.



Why?
Where do I start? Well first off the story is brilliant. Some weird neighbours, the Klopeks, move in next door to Ray and Carol Peterson (Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher). Nobody has really seen them or spoken to them. Another resident of the cul-de-sac, Art, (Rick Ducommun) is convinced that they are up to no good and perhaps something sinister. Art and the resident ex military guy Rumsfield (Bruce Dern) try to convince Ray to spy on the neighbours when elderly Walter (Gale Gordon) goes missing. Art and Rumsfield are convinced the Klopeks have something to do with it.
Dante does a great job of keeping us guessing until the very last act of the movie.
In 1989 Tom Hanks was at the top of his comedy game. Perfectly cast in this as the straight laced, slightly more mature sceptic compared to Bruce Dern and Rick Ducommuns juvenile, curious, trouble making characters. They lead Ray astray while Rays wife Carol tries to keep him on the straight and narrow. This was the first time I saw Carrie Fisher outside of Star Wars and I remember thinking "she's an old woman now"! She would have been about 33 at the time........ But the chemistry between all the cast is brilliant. We also have some old favourites of Dante's cast in the movie who have featured in some of his other movies. Corey Feldman was also in Gremlins. Dick Miller and Robert Picardo who play two garbage men were also in Gremlins and Innerspace respectively. Henry Gibson, Dr Klopek, was also in Innerspace. And they all work. Brilliantly.


The script is excellent. The banter between the 3 main protagonists is hillarious. There are so many good quotes in this movie, we used to rhyme them off all the time at school.
The movie looks great. It all takes place on the cul-de-sac on which they all live. I believe it was filmed in Universal Hollywood in the back lot. The cul-de-sac will be recognisable to many people as Wisteria Lane from Desperate Housewives. Normally it is part of the back lot tour at Universal. I went one year and I was gutted when it was closed off. But it's with great credit to the director and writers that they keep it all in one place and maintain interest for the viewer.
Another highlight is the score by Jerry Goldsmith. Of course Goldsmith did the score for Gremlins so Dante knew he was on to a winner. And Goldsmith doesn't disappoint. Similar to themes we hear from Curb Your Enthusiasm, the jaunty, whimsical score adds to the comedy and keeps the dark tone of the film light-hearted. The use of an Ennio Morricone composed theme is excellent and well placed.



If you have seen the movie you know the ending. If you haven't seen the movie......why not?! Go and see it.
I'm gonna watch it again this weekend.
Adam

Comments

Popular Posts