Transformers - Robots In Decline...?

Transformers.....Robots In Disguise.....




We all used to shout it in the playground as we pretended to be Optimus Prime fighting the Decepticons. In the 80s there was no shortage of quality cartoons vying for your attention after school or on a Saturday morning.

The big hitters were He Man, Thundercats, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles..... I could go on.



But top of that tree for a good while was Transformers. Every parent couldn't wait to see the end of a franchise that was specifically created to sell us kids as much as we could get our hands on. First aired in 1984 it crashed into our lives and we had seen nothing like it before. A simple story line of two warring robot factions, Autobot's and Decepticons, made sure we sat cross legged in front of the tv engrossed for four full seasons. It was captivating, imaginative TV animation and I lapped it up. I can remember every time my Mam used to take me to Woolworths I would go mad for an Optimus Prime or a Megatron, a Starscream or a Soundwave. It was good times and everything was right with Cybertron.



Fast forward to 2007. A Transformers movie. A proper live action movie. There had of course been a Transformers The Movie already in 1986, which was animated. And it was brilliant. Check out the trailer below and note the talent that was signed up for the 1986 movie (and listen to the exquisite You Got The Touch by Stan Bush).



Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy and Orson Welles. ORSON WELLES!! Like I say it was brilliant and it recently celebrated its 30th anniversary of the release last year in 2016. But anyway....2007. A new Transformers movie. With Spielberg as producer and Michael Bay signed up to direct, they couldn't go wrong, could they? Main cast members were Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox. Never heard of either of them. Fox was clearly the eye candy. And Ive got to admit, I thought it was pretty good. Big on action it held my interest.

However....the second one was awful. the third one was worse. Forth one was pants and I haven't bothered with the latest one even though some scenes were shot where I used to live near, Alnwick and Newcastle Upon Tyne. Now Im reading about a spin off movie about Bumblebee and I fear the franchise is disappearing into Unicron from which it will struggle to return. The change of director is a welcome one as Bay's over the top action was old and with no real substance or story. Spielberg has long since washed his hands of it. Wisely.

So what is in store for everyones favourite Transformer that can turn into a yellow Beatle? Well, we know that Travis Knight is on board to direct. We also know that Paramount have given a release date of December 2018 and that principal photography has actually begun. Paramount also shared that included in the cast is Hailie Steinfeld and John Cena. Yes. John Cena. So for me, when you look at the calibre of previous movies that Cena has featured in, alarm bells are ringing.

Did anyone ask for a Bumblebee movie, is there an appetite for one? I hope for the franchise sake that this movie is a turning point. I just want a good old fashioned ding dong between Autobot's and Decepticons.

I don't want it to be Transformers...Robots I Despise.

Adam




Comments

Popular Posts