Star Wars Episode IX is getting a new writer


I can't wait for The Last Jedi to hit cinemas this December. I will be in line at the midnight showing just like I was for The Force Awakens and Rogue One. The Force Awakens I saw 3 times and Rogue One I saw 4 times.

I have to admit that after the first viewing The Force Awakens I felt a little underwhelmed. I know this has been highlighted countless times but it felt like a rehash of Star Wars A New Hope (as we call it these days). And for that reason I was quite disappointed. Although I do feel that I set very high expectations for myself. I went back for another viewing and enjoyed it a lot more, so much that I went for 3rd viewing with my wife, daughter and niece.

 

Rogue One I loved. My wife and I, along with a good pal, went to Star Wars celebration last year in London and we attended the Rogue One panel with the cast, Gareth Edwards and Kathleen Kennedy. They showed a trailer that was especially put together for the audience (I have never seen it online to this day) and it gave a first glimpse of Vader. The place went wild. From that day I had good vibes about the movie. And I was right. That Vader scene at the end and the surprise glimpse of Princess Leia left me thirsty for more and wanting to watch A New Hope again. Clever stuff.


The Last Jedi I have mixed feelings about. I try to stay clear of spoilers in general, but I find some of the theories fascinating. But Im not too worried about it.

I could do a whole other blog post about the troubles the as yet untitled Han Solo movie has endured.....

Episode IX however I am quite worried about. Alarm bells were ringing when I saw Colin Trevorrow was writing and directing the movie. After the mess he made of Jurassic World, Colin taking the helm was not welcome news to me. I went to the cinema to see Jurassic World. It started well enough. Then I saw Chris Pratt taming 'raptors and that turned me straight off. I sat sulking for the rest of the movie. I kept whispering to my young daughter "you can't tame 'raptors...."
"How do you know"? came the reply.
Good point! But non the less it didn't sit well with me and I thought the movie was mediocre. Obviously it made a ton at the cinema so plenty people enjoyed it! What do I know anyway...?

But I certainly didn't think it warranted a shot at the ultimate moviemaking experience for Trevorrow. His recent movie The Book of Henry has received countless scathing reviews. Trevorrow has assured us that that doesn't mean Episode IX is going to be bad. But this latest turn of events today suggests otherwise...?

According to several news sites today, a new writer has been brought on board as a "fresh pair of eyes" to work on the script. I think this could be in direct response to the criticism of The Book Of Henry. British guy Jack Thorne is handling the re write of the script. He wrote for an upcoming movie called Wonder that features Julia Roberts. His most high profile work comes in the shape of the stage play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. But the question is, is this a ground up rewrite or a routine once over that most movie scripts go through. We already know how Kathleen Kennedy isn't afraid to change things. Just ask Gareth Edwards, Chris Millar or Phil Lord....

Please don't mess this up Trevorrow, you're our only hope.

Adam

Comments

Popular Posts