Official Making of Big Trouble In Little China book review

So....while Im on the subject of Big Trouble In Little China.....

It was my birthday recently and no birthday is complete without fantastic presents from my wife. She says Im so easy to buy for because Im into loads of things. Infact a few people have said that about me.

Anyways I got a bunch of stuff, some of which I may talk about in other posts, but for this entry I want to talk about The Official Making Of Big Trouble In Little China book.

The first thing I would say about it is that it is exceptionally well put together with some real nuggets of information. It has a stunning hard front cover with beautiful art work which will be very familiar to BTILC fans.



At 176 pages there is plenty of information for us to digest. A lot if it you will already know but thats ok, we are fans after all.

I really liked the lay out of the book. Authors Tara Bennett and Paul Terry have done a fantastic job here. After a foreword by the master himself John Carpenter, we dive head first into the origins of BTILC then a fond look at the character Jack Burton with comments from the main man Kurt Russell. And the book continues in this vein for each main character. And they are all in there with contributions from from the actors. Even the Pork Chop Express and the hell of the upside down sinners have their own section.

The text is great, but where the book really shines is the photos and artwork contained within. Photos from the movie, photos from behind the scenes, excerpts from the screenplay keep you turning page after page after page.



I especially liked the section on the original soundtrack. We all know John Carpenter is a talented director and made some great movies but hes equally at home, and just as prolific, when he is making music. And I personally think the the BTILC soundtrack is his finest hour. Instantly recognisable. And Im glad Tara and Paul included this in the book.

The book ends with a afterword by Kurt Russell which a satisfying way to finish.

Ive had an intrest in BTILC for 31 years and this book perfectly captures the memories and excitement of a fantastic movie. I definately recommend.

I have tons more BTILC stuff so expect to see more on here soon.....

Adam

Comments

Popular Posts